Our History

The Church of St. Peter
 
Timeline
 
 1950’s A four-acre parcel of land is purchased by the Synod at Cedar and Thomas Streets.
 June 1958 A portable building is erected and Captain Ernest C. Bertram of the Church Army holds the first services for the Anglican congregation of South Oshawa.
 March 1959  Bishop Wilkinson appoints Rev. William Linley as the incumbent. The Church is named St. Peter’s later that year.
 January 1961 Mr. H. Cole is chosen as the architect for a permanent building.
 May 1961 Mel-Ron Construction’s tender for construction is approved.
 October 15, 1961 The Venerable H.D. Cleverdon, Archdeacon of Toronto lays the cornerstone of the Church of St. Peter.
 March 1962 Bishop Wilkinson dedicates the church.
 January 1964 Merger discussions with Holy Trinity Church begin.
 Easter 1964 Holy Trinity Church holds its final service.
 November 1964 Church furnishings from Holy Trinity are re-dedicated at St. Peter’s.
 1966 Easterly two acres of property at Thomas and Cedar Streets and the rectory on Sharbot Street are sold.
 1968 Saint Peter’s and Southminster United Church begin discussions on sharing facilities and services.
 1968 Saint Peter’s and Southminster United Church enter a one-year agreement to share St. Peter’s building.
 1970 A committee is set up to work with Southminster to discuss sharing of the property.
 1975 Saint Peter’s and Southminster United Church terminate arrangement for sharing St. Peter’s facilities.
 1975 Vestry decision to build a new rectory.
 1975  Southminster United Church moves to their own building on the north side of the property.
 1976 Half of the northerly portion of the property is sold to Southminster United Church. St. Peter’s retains the right of first refusal on any future sale.
 1993 Southminster United Church disbands. The property is returned to Synod in trust for St. Peter’s.
 October 2000 Durham Police enters into agreement with Synod to lease the property formerly held by Southminster United Church. A Community Policing Station is planned.
 October 2001 The Community Policing Station is opened.
      
  
List of Incumbents
  
June 1958 to March 1959:  Captain Ernest C. Bertram (Church Army)
April 1959 to June 1962:  Rev. Wm. C. Linley (Incumbent)
September 1962 to April 1963:   Rev. Douglas G. Jackson (Incumbent)
May 1963 to April 1964:   Rev. Leonard M. Ware (Priest in Charge)
May 1963 to April 1964:  Rev. Wm. D. Hewton (Deacon)
May 1964 to February 1966:  Rev. Leonard D. Ware (Incumbent)
May 1966 to September 1966:  Canon Fred Ongley (Priest in Charge)
May 1966 to December 1966:  Rev. Thomas E. Shepherd (Deacon)
September 1966 to May 1967:  Rev. R. G. Brooks (Incumbent)
June 1967 to December 1969:  Rev. Geoffrey Rennison (Incumbent)
January 1970 to December 1970:  Rev. Geoffrey Rennison (Priest in Charge)
February 1971 to June 1973:  Rev. A. Robertson (Incumbent)
August 1973 to January 1977:  Rev. Gordon D. King (Incumbent)
February 1977 to May 1981:  Rev. James Merrett (Incumbent)
June 1981 to April 1983:  Rev. James Decker (Incumbent)
July 1983 to April 1992:  Rev. Philip Hobson (Incumbent)
April 1992 to September 1992:  Rev. Geoffrey Howson (Priest in Charge)
September 1992 to January 2000:  Rev. Milton F. Dorman (Incumbent)
February 2000 to May 2000:  Rev. James Tiller (Priest in Charge)
June 2000 to May 2005:  Rev. Kevin T. Robertson (Incumbent)
May 2005 to August 2005:  Rev. Grant Schwartz (Priest in Charge)
September 2005 to March 2006:  Rev. Paul G. Walker (Priest in Charge)
March 2006 to January 2010:  Rev. Lincoln McKoen (Incumbent)
January 2010 to June 2010: Rev. Rob Shields (Priest in Charge)
June 2010 to September 2010: Rev. James Blackmore (Priest in Charge)
September 2010 to February 2015: Rev. Jeffrey Donnelly (Incumbent)
February 2015 to June 2015: Rev. Ted Bartlett (Priest in Charge)
July 2015 to April 2017: Rev. Anthony Bassett (Priest in Charge)
April 2017 to present: Rev. James Blackmore (Incumbent)
Comments